Friday, June 30, 2006

The Moon on June 29th



Michael Milligan blogged his viewing of the Moon through the University of Minnesota's 10-inch refractor last evening. A great coincidence (aka clear skies for us both) had me at Ryerson viewing the Moon that evening too. It was a useful starting point to Saturn, Mars, and even the elusive Mercury. I also looked at Jupiter to add to the planet list.

I too photographed it, although I waited until the sun had set, taking the first image at 8:45PM with the intention of getting some of the twilight blue in the image.

This second image is a point-of-view image through the viewfinder.



Earlier I also branded a piece of wood with an "R" for Ryerson using the sun's setting rays.

1 comment:

chicagoastronomer said...

Hey Dean,

Great that you have a blog running and I came across it via Milligans's site.

Reposted there to here:

I too have encountered the amazement of people who find it hard to understand that the Moon can also be viewed in broad daylight. The lower contrast and blue hue gives it a whole different and unusual look - and it's a nice time spent watching the lunar surface as the sky gets darker in the eyepiece while the Sun sets. I have had good results using a polarizing filter on a daytime Moon too on my own scope and those of the Adler Planetarium.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/josephguzman/Adler/Lunar1.jpg

Here I took a digital shot during one of our Public sessions this spring at the Adler thru a 4" Classic Nikon Refractor and using a 40mm eyepiece. I left the circular eyepiece vignetting, as I think it adds a bit of interest.

Also,

I have enjoyed peering thru the Ryerson Refractor during my times at the U of C, and thank you Dean for the opportunity and hospitallity.

Respectfully,

Chicago Astronomer Joe
Administrator
www.chicagoastronomer.com