Sunday, March 06, 2016

A really bad soldering iron

I picked this soldering iron out of the ewaste recycling stream that students dump at the end of the year, figuring I could use another iron. I knew it ran hot. Yesterday I was attempting to create a data cable between a PC and a radio and was annoyed at how quickly oxidized the tip had gotten. After cleaning it and trying again (failing ultimately because the PS/2 keyboard connector happens to not use one of the pins) I noticed a subtle warm color to it--and thinking it was just the orange light pollution reflecting off of it, but then I put two and two together and realized it was black body radiation. And that means this soldering iron is really really bad.
The camera appears to have a fairly good IR block filter on it, so the colors match better to the eye's response. On a weaker camera I would expect a purple appearance to it as the blue Bayer filter will pass IR circa 900nm.

4 comments:

Rickyponting said...

Hi, thanks for this wonderful article. I just read it and found it very informative. Well, if someone is looking to buy a new one then it is recommended to check different product and features before buying. You need to check this list of soldering irons before buying. I bet you will find the best one for your needs.

Adam Thomson said...

Your post really a great post. I inspired from your this post. I want to do something awesome for me. Please write more like this for us.

Charles Trantham said...

Soldering fluxes are really useful for those with an interest in electronics. The purpose of this post is to review the uses of soldering wire from some of the leading types of soldering flux products. Soldering is often used in electronics when components or parts need to be bonded together and to remain bounded. Rosin flux soldering is one type of flux used by people working with electronics. Another type of flux commonly used is lead free soldering flux, which is better for the environment as well as the health of whoever uses it.

Charles Trantham said...

Hi, thanks for your review on best soldering irons but still there are some features of soldering irons that are not mentioned in this article. If someone is looking to buy the best butane soldering iron then I'd love to recommend this list of best soldering irons where you will find the right one for your
needs